Bone Marrow Transplant for Thalassemia in India
When it comes to blood disorders that are inherited from the parents, thalassaemia somehow takes the top spot. This particular disorder results in an excessive about of destruction of red blood cells. This further tends to lead to anaemia and this in fact can lead to death. However, in the realms of treatments of this particular disorder, there are many that have come up. Bone marrow transplant has given hope to many when it comes to India. Let us now ponder on how bone marrow transplant can treat thalassaemia in India.
However, we aren’t going to discount the other treatments for this disease and discuss them as well.
Thalassaemia treatments in India
As far as the matters of treatments for thalassaemia go, there are many that are present in India. These treatments that you can get in India have the exact same calibre as you would get outside the country. However, the unique factor is the cost of treatment and it is fairly low in the country. Costs aside, let us discuss these thalassemia treatment in India:
- Blood transfusions: In order to replenish the red blood cells that have been damaged, blood transfusion on a regular can be given so that there is availability of healthy blood. This treatment is particularly good for a short term. However, there are some long term options for this as well.
- Medications: In order to improve the disease fighting ability of the body, you need to make sure that you have enough medications in your system in order to maintain your health. These medications tend to be symptomatic and they tend to deal with the symptoms of the titular disorder.
- Surgical methods: Surgical options are also available that remove the spleen from your body.
- Bone marrow transplant: Now we are the meat of the whole article. Bone marrow transplant refers to transplantation of healthy blood producing stem cells after the unhealthy bone marrow is removed. This procedure is pretty recent in India as far as the matter of blood disorders treatments go. However, there is no denying of its success. Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation (where the stem cells of a donor are transplanted into the patient) is the major mode of transplantation here in this country. As far as the reason as to why this transplantation is successful in India, you can put up the reasons like:
- Talented doctors
- High end medical equipments
- Best haematologists in the nation like Dr Rahul Bhargava.
Now, stem cell transplantation is the best mode of treatment that is provided for thalassaemia, not because it is sound cool, but is the only treatment that can possible cure the issue.
The thalassemia bone marrow transplant is similar to other forms of bone marrow transplant. However, if you are taking this procedure under the watchful eye of Dr Rahul Bhargava, you are in a win-win situation.