Home Remedies for Sickle Cell Anemia
In the normal human body the red bloods are round in shape are flexible enough to move easily through the blood vessels. When the person suffers from the sickle cell anemia the red blood cells take the shape of sickle or crescent shapes, become rigid and start to stick with the blood vessels. Due to this interruption in the normal blood cells the functions of the normal blood cells is also disrupted. Moreover the cells in the person becomes deoxygenated i.e. the cells lacks the oxygen. In order to treat this condition the treatment methods like medications, blood transfusions or in extreme cases the bone marrow transplant may be used. Along with these medical treatment methods the home remedies have also proved to be beneficial for managing the symptoms and treating the condition.
- Consume folic acid supplements- In order to make the new blood cells the bone marrow requires the folic acid and other vitamins. Thus make sure to make a diet plan packed with fruits, vegetables and whole grains etc.
- Blackstrap Molasses- Being rich in the Vitamin B, calcium, iron, potassium, copper, magnesium and phosphorus this is the magic ingredient for the sickle cell anemia patient. Just mix it with the milk and drink it daily for reversing this condition.
- Spinach- It is a good source of iron that plays a good role in developing the red blood cells. Apart from rejuvenating the existing cells it also works by producing the fresh red blood cells.
- Beet Roots – It is truly a super food for the sickle cell anemia patients consisting of the Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B3, C and folate.
- Moderate exercising- In the patient suffering from sickle cell anemia there is lack of oxygen in the blood. With exercising the oxygen is transported into the cells by improving the blood circulation. However make sure to indulge in exercising in the moderate amount only. Too much of exercise can make you tired soon and it may result in chest and muscle pains.
- Drink enough water- Dehydration can increase the risk of sickle crises significantly. Make sure to drink enough water throughout the day. Moreover, make sure to protect yourself from extreme weather conditions
- Use over the counter medicines with caution- The pain medications, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, Children's Motrin, others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve) very cautiously that too only if it is very necessary this is because it has possible effect on your kidneys.