Different types of Bone Marrow Transplant
A bone marrow transplant is a final resort to curing many of the most detrimental diseases known to mankind. In our previous blog, we discussed diseases are treated with Bone Marrow Transplant can be. To that end, you would not be surprised to know that the different types of stem cell transplants are also present.
Different types of Stem Cell Transplant
The factor that differentiates between the types of transplant is the type of donor. With that in mind, the different types of BMT are as follows:
1. Autologous Bone marrow transplant: In this particular case, the patient is himself the donor of the stem cells., the process of transplant is as follows:
- Stem cells are first harvested from the patient.
- These cells are then frozen
- Then after a certain period of time, these cells are transplanted back into the patient after treatment is finished.
2. Allogeneic stem cell transplant: In this scenario, the donor has the same genetic type as the receiver. Here too, the cells of the donor are harvested, frozen and put into the patient once the intensive care is over. Here, the donor can be:
- A parent: As in this case, the genetic matter would be nigh-similar.
- Unrelated donor: Now an unrelated donor might have a match as well. These donors are found through registries.
3. Umbilical Cord BMT: if the infant has to be saved, the stem cells are extracted from the umbilical cord. This progression of growth of these stem cells is faster than the child of another or another adult. To make sure that the cells are implantable, they are tested in about a dozens of scrutinized ways.
The above are the three types of stem cell transplant that you ought to be aware of. However, once it is decided upon which type of donor it would be, a match is needed to be determined (but not for the Autologous one) and once the match is done, the transplantation process can go through.
If you are seeking this rather atypical way of treating blood and neurological disorders, you would need access to the best hospitals to do so. Fortunately, you can find the lot in India with the best hematologist in India that you would need.